[HEADSUP] pkg(8) is now the only package management tool

yaneurabeya at gmail.com yaneurabeya at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 03:14:25 UTC 2014

On Sep 1, 2014, at 20:02, Andrew Berg <aberg010 at my.hennepintech.edu> wrote:

> On 2014.09.01 21:27, Michelle Sullivan wrote:
>> Actually it's an inconvenience for someone like me and you.  Not for
>> many freebsd users, and certainly not for me 6 months ago if I hadn't
>> been writing my own ports.... oh and what was it, 1.3.6 -> 1.3.7? broke
>> shit... (badly) ...
> There were instructions for upgrading 1.3.6 to 1.3.7 alongside a notice that
> things would not be good if the instructions were not followed and an
> explanation of the issue. I think these kinds of notices need to reach more
> people, but of course, that is easier said than done.
> BTW, from what I have observed, 1.3.x issues have affected Poudriere users the
> most, binary package users a bit less (but still significantly), and pure ports
> users very little.
>
>>> Also, 9.3 is out and the 9.2 EOL is not far away. Not sure why you would be
>>> doing a new install with 9.2.
>>>
>> Try getting yourself a FreeBSD server at Softlayer...  They still
>> install 7.x for Christ's sake (amongst others - but last time I checked,
>> on new servers, 8.4, 9.0, 9.1, 10.0*)
> Fair enough.
>
>> (not had time - because an EOL message is not a 'It will not
>> work after this date' message it is a 'you're unsupported after this
>> date and things *might* not work as expected'
> No, it means "we're not supporting this any more, so we don't care if there are
> new vulnerabilities or things stop working". I'm not going to dictate to other
> people what their upgrade schedule should be, but anyone running unsupported
> versions of software should not have any expectation that the ecosystem around
> it will be accommodating.
> The ports tree already requires a lot work to make sure everything works on
> supported versions of FreeBSD, and I see no reason whatsoever for anyone to put
> effort into making it work on EOL versions.

	Installing pkgng on FreeBSD 7.x isn’t impossible, but it does require jumping through some hoops because xz not being present until 8.x. These directions aren’t complete (welcome to feedback if anyone runs into issues), but they’re a start: https://github.com/yaneurabeya/scratch/blob/master/docs/cheatsheets/freebsd .
Cheers!
-Garrett