[HEADSUP] pkg(8) is now the only package management tool

Michelle Sullivan michelle at sorbs.net
Tue Sep 2 02:27:46 UTC 2014

Andrew Berg wrote:

>>> In short, this change doesn't directly effect portsnap users.
>>>

>> Sure about that?
>>
> I'm sure of it. Your issue is with the tree itself, not the tool used to fetch it.
>

>> Correct, take a 9.2 install disk, install it, portsnap and then install
>> pkg on it...  Oh wait, you can't.. pkg_install is broken, and 9.2
>> install disks don't have pkg in the BaseOS....
>>
> Use the ports tree tarball included, or fetch it (either during or after
> installation). It is not impossible to get an old version of the ports tree
> with only the 9.2 base system. I don't see how this is anything more than an
> inconvenience.

Actually it's an inconvenience for someone like me and you.  Not for
many freebsd users, and certainly not for me 6 months ago if I hadn't
been writing my own ports.... oh and what was it, 1.3.6 -> 1.3.7? broke
shit... (badly) ...

> Also, 9.3 is out and the 9.2 EOL is not far away. Not sure why you would be
> doing a new install with 9.2.

Try getting yourself a FreeBSD server at Softlayer...  They still
install 7.x for Christ's sake (amongst others - but last time I checked,
on new servers, 8.4, 9.0, 9.1, 10.0*)

* the 10.0 is the original release, completely unpatched.

Look I'm not saying the change isn't for the better, I'm saying not
supporting older systems until you're sure 99% of the userbase is
upgraded is not a bad thing, what I am saying is deliberately breaking
all older systems (some without *major pain*) when the new system has
just had a major issue, and not everyone had time to upgrade is a *bad
thing* ... (not had time - because an EOL message is not a 'It will not
work after this date' message it is a 'you're unsupported after this
date and things *might* not work as expected' - even Windows XP didn't
got his root...  they EOL'd XP, then they stated for 2 or was it 3
years, that after 'x' date there would not be any new security
patches...  but you can still get software for XP, some is even
patched... FreeBSD... Sept 1, 2014, you're not on pkg, you're fucked.)

--
Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/