strange failure when reinstalling multimedia/2mandvd with portupgrade

Don Lewis truckman at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 1 18:56:37 UTC 2014

I've been having a problem reinstalling multimedia/2mandvd with
portupgrade for a while now.  The build succeeds, but I get an odd error
when portupgrade tries to uninstall the old version before it installs
the new version.

====> Compressing man pages (compress-man)
--->  Backing up the old version
--->  Uninstalling the old version
[Reading data from pkg(8) ... - 1383 packages found - done]
--->  Deinstalling '2ManDVD-1.8.5'
[Reading data from pkg(8) ... - 1383 packages found - done]
** Listing the failed packages (-:ignored / *:skipped / !:failed)
	! 2ManDVD-1.8.5	(invalid byte sequence in US-ASCII)
** Listing the failed packages (-:ignored / *:skipped / !:failed)
	! multimedia/2mandvd (2ManDVD-1.8.5)	(uninstall error)

I don't see any issues if I do a manual deinstallation using "pkg
delete", and then reinstalling the port works fine.

# pkg delete 2ManDVD-1.8.5
Updating database digests format: 100%
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Deinstallation has been requested for the following 1 packages (of 0 packages in the universe):

Installed packages to be REMOVED:
	2ManDVD-1.8.5

The operation will free 31 MB.

Proceed with deinstalling packages? [y/N]: y
[1/1] Deleting 2ManDVD-1.8.5: 100%

I don't know where the "invalid byte sequence in US-ASCII" error is
coming from.