Can't build ruby20 on -current: it doesn't honor WITHOUT_CDDL=yes

Steve Wills swills at freebsd.org
Thu Oct 30 15:15:10 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 01:26:02PM +0300, Andrey Chernov wrote:
> On 30.10.2014 13:17, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 01:11:33PM +0300, Andrey Chernov wrote:
> >> Hi.
> >> I disable zfs and dtrace on my machine using WITHOUT_CDDL=yes in
> >> /etc/src.conf
> >> ryby20 port throw this error:
> >> checking for valgrind/memcheck.h... no
> >> checking for strip... strip
> >> configure: error: dtrace(1) is missing
> >> ===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
> >>
> >> I see you have sophisticated check depending on OS version for
> >> CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --enable-dtrace
> >> IMHO, it should be replaced to test dtrace binary presence instead.
> >>

> > To be previse the port should not care about WITHOUT_CDDL :) but it should
> > detect if the host has dtrace or note, probably a
> > .if exists(/usr/sbin/dtrace)
> > CONFIGURE_ARGS+= --enable-dtrace
> > .endif
> >
> > Should do the trick (to be tested of course :)
>
> Yes, the thing
> .if exists(/usr/sbin/dtrace)
> CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --enable-dtrace
> .else
> CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --disable-dtrace
> .endif
> works (at least for no dtrace case)

The checks for OS version weren't meant to detect presence of dtrace, they were
meant to detect presence of dtrace with usable USDT. Unfortunately, presence of
/usr/sbin/dtrace doesn't necessarily mean USDT works. So, both checks need to
be there. I'll take a look when I can, but if someone else gets there first,
great.

Steve