openldap-sasl-server

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 27 19:13:00 UTC 2014

On 27/10/2014 18:53, Jerry wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 11:06:35 +0000, Matthew Seaman stated:
>
>> Actually, I'd recommend switching to lmdb rather than BDB.  It's what
>> I've been using for going on a year now, and it works great.
>
> I have been looking for a good "How-to" on converting to MDB, but have not
> been able to find one.

Ah.  I started using LMDB from scratch, so I have no first hand
experience.  However, I imagine that the process is essentially:

   # su -m ldap -c slapcat -n 1 > data.ldif
   { repeat for as many databases as you have...}
   # service slapd stop
   # pkg upgrade -f openldap-server
   # vi /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf
   # su -m ldap -m slapadd -n 1 -l data.ldif
   { repeat for as many databases as you have...}
   # service slapd start

That's assuming you're using the old style slapd.conf file rather than a
cn=config database.  In which case you need to 'slapcat -n 1 >
config.ldif' at the beginning, modify that to change the backend DB
type, then empty out /usr/local/etc/openldap/conf/ and 'slapadd -n 0 -l
config.ldif' before loading any of the other databases.

About the only other way I can think of dong the switchover is to set up
replication to a new slapd instance using LMDB.  Which has the advantage
that you could probably manage the switchover without any significant
outages.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--