Status of ntopng

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Sat Oct 25 12:37:16 UTC 2014

On 10/25/14 04:28, Muhammad Moinur Rahman wrote:
> Hi,

Hello.
First off, thanks for your attention.

> 1. I am not aware about if it's not working in 8.4. It will be helpful
> if you can provide me any logs.

> # uname -r
> 8.4-RELEASE-p16
> # cd /usr/ports/net/ntopng/
> # make
> ===>  ntopng-1.2.1 is marked as broken: Does not build on 8.X due to *ENDIAN implementations.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/net/ntopng.

> In fact on the contrary I think it's time for you to at least upgrade
 > to 9.3 as 8.4 will be EOL soon.

There's more than half a year of support ahead; I already moved several
system to 9.3, but I still cannot move others.
This is out of the scope, anyway.
If ntopng does not work on this systems, I'll live with that (in fact,
as I said, I installed it on another box).

> 2. Not aware of that either. Last time I checked it was working well.

> # portupgrade -RNv ntopng
> # service ntopng onestart
> #/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ntopng: 33: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string

It's trivial to add the missing quote.

Besides, I discovered redis is required; maybe it should be a dependency?

Finally, running redis, I got "ERROR: Startup error: missing super-user
privileges ?" in /var/tmp/ntopng/ntopng.log, until I fiddled with
ntopng_flags. This might be normal, though; I don't know ntopng enough
yet to tell.

> 3. nProbe is a commercial supported GPL product where the source code is
> available for the customer. However I will talk with Luca if he provides
> me the code so that I can work on it and make some patches to work on.

Thanks, it would be great.

> You are looking on the wrong direction I believe. I am not aware about
> your traffic capacity but what you are looking for is possible without
> nProbe too. Consult ntopng user guide. I believe -i and -I will clarify
> your requirements.

Since I cannot run ntopng on the two 8.4 routers, I cannot right now
achieve this setup (if I get what you are suggesting right).
That's why I thought about nProbe.

  bye & Thanks
	av.