www/dansguardian revival?

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Oct 20 23:22:01 UTC 2014

Am 21.10.2014 um 01:08 schrieb Nick Rogers:
> Hello,
>
> I recently learned that the www/dansguardian port was deprecated due to its
> dependency on the old www/squid port (squid 2.7). Is there any way this
> port can be revived? I've been using it for years with great success
> against newer versions of squid (3.3, 3.4). Usually I would just change the
> RUN_DEPENDS to look for squid33 or squid34. The squid dependency could
> arguably be removed entirely because all dansguardian does is proxy www
> traffic to squid - it doesn't really matter what version it is and the
> application itself does not require the squid port to run. Point being, the
> port works just fine as is (was). In fact, it would work in its last-known
> state correctly now that squid34 is simply www/squid. I realize the
> maintainer has not updated the port in a while, but I've been using
> dansguardian with FreeBSD for nearly the last decade and it is unfortunate
> to see it removed as a port simply because the previous state of the squid
> ports was undesirable.
>
> It would be great if this could be added back. Clearly I am not the only
> one still using it.
>
> I've CC'd the current dansguardian source code maintainer and author in
> hopes they can assist and find a new maintainer for the FreeBSD port.

Nick,

If you're comfortable with grabbing the last known version with
Subversion, and a bit of Makefile tweaking, you can be the new
maintainer as well.  No formalities involved for application.

We have the FreeBSD porter's handbook that describes the details.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/

Just submit the updated port through our Bugzilla at
https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla and stuff your mail address into the
"MAINTAINER=" line, and a committer will take care of reviving it.

Cheers,
Matthias