Patching a Java package substituting a precompiled class

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at FreeBSD.org
Sun Oct 19 00:24:19 UTC 2014

On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 1:07 PM, Enrico Maria Crisostomo <
enrico.m.crisostomo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to fix a Java port (logstash) that's crashing in FreeBSD
> because of a bug in a Java class in a JAR that's included as a dependency.
> Three different persons, included I, have submitted a PR upstream (you can
> see mine here: https://github.com/jnr/jnr-ffi/pull/26) but the activity
> in that project is pretty slow and nobody has taken action yet.

Thanks for doing that.  I lot of people in the Java world
don't care much about FreeBSD, so this process can be painful.

There is another option that you may wish to consider.

(1)  Take your https://github.com/emcrisostomo/jnr-ffi/ fork on github.

(2)  Make a release of the jnr package and put it at
https://github.com/emcrisostomo/jnr-ffi/releases/

(3)  Change the FreeBSD port to use your version of jnr

(4)  When the upstream version of jnr changes to accept your patch, delete
your fork, and change the port back to using the original jnr.

Thanks for doing this.  It takes some pushing but eventually upstream will
take our patches.  I did the same thing for
https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/pull/1387 and Jenkins.

--
Craig