pkgng-1.3.8: "pkg upgrade" showing some strange errors

Beeblebrox zaphod at berentweb.com
Sat Oct 11 20:08:33 UTC 2014

Thanks for the answer, doc!

I thought the linux-c6-hicolor-icon-theme related message was a pkgng internal (sqlite) complaint. Following your input I have:
* folder ownership -  root/wheel
* contents owned by other packages awaiting upgrade? - NO
* would "pkg upgrade" have removed them? - Well, NO

* Solution: delete the folder
/usr/compat/linux/usr/share/icons/hicolor
Package will then install and the compat/linux/.../hicolor folder will be replaced by a symlink:  hicolor -> /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor
* "pkg delete -f linux-c6-hicolor-icon-theme" (which I had run before posting) neglected to delete above mentioned folder, which is essentially the same problem that pkg upgrade runs into.

The other problem with math/octave-forge seems more complex. "pkg upgrade" finishes the job for this port, but spews out a ton of messages. The port binaries are also extremely slow to finish installing, which is another dimension of strange. The port probably needs revision, but you guys most likely know that already.

Regards.

-----
FreeBSD-11-current_amd64_root-on-zfs_RadeonKMS