Removal of legacy X.Org (aka non-WITH_NEW_XORG)

Marat N.Afanasyev amarat at li.ru
Fri Oct 3 15:45:31 UTC 2014

Jean-Sébastien Pédron wrote:
> On 03.10.2014 11:01, Claude Buisson wrote:
>> NVIDIA does not exist in your world ?
>
> Hi!
>
> You're right, we forgot to mention NVIDIA.
>
> The NVIDIA port installs its own bits from the kernel module to the
> specific libGL.so. The notion of "UMS/KMS" doesn't exist and the port is
> made to work with all versions of FreeBSD and X.Org server. Therefore,
> NVIDIA users are not impacted by this change at all.

I think that old X stack should not be dropped until at least, GPU
locking problem is resolved, what we can say about Xorg stability under
FreeBSD if one should reset one's desktop every week or so with lots of
lost files? I cannot really use KMS drivers at all because of this
problem. I've lost enough data while trying to test radeon kms, and I
cannot switch from old xorg to new one. Is it possible to build new xorg
without kms and with old radeon driver?

--
SY, Marat