Running Squeak On FreeBSD 10

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Sat Nov 29 11:42:25 UTC 2014

On 2014-Nov-27 04:11:39 +0000, B J <quarterwavevertical at gmail.com> wrote:
>I recently made a clean installation of FreeBSD 10 on an external hard
>drive, using Mate as the desktop and Slim as the login manager.

What version of FreeBSD 10?
Are you running amd64 or i386?

>/usr/local/lib/squeak/4.10.2-2614/squeakvm /usr/local/lib/squeak/Squeak4.3.image
>
>I get:
>
>"Illegal instruction (core dumped)"
>
>If I try:
>
>/usr/local/bin/squeak/ /usr/local/lib/squeak/Squeak4.3.image

I presume you mean /usr/local/bin/squeak /usr/local/lib/squeak/Squeak4.3.image

>the result is:
>
>CHECKING cogvm
>CHECKING squeakvm
>Illegal instruction (core dumped)

I can't reproduce this after building squeak-4.10.2_2 from ports on a
5-month old FreeBSD 10-stable/amd64.

Does squeak work if you compile it yourself?
If you debug the corefile, what is the offending instruction, register
contents and a backtrace?

--
Peter Jeremy