value of maintaining emacs-mode packages in ports

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Sun Nov 23 19:05:00 UTC 2014

On 11/23/14 00:32, Christopher J. Ruwe wrote:
> I am well aware that very probably I might be starting a rant thread,
> however, I am genuinely interested in opinions from the community.
> ... More
> generally, I am interested in community answers as to whether it is
> really useful to maintain Emacs-extension-packages in ports.

Hello.

I was asking myself the same question some days ago...
I'm no emacs-port maintainer, so my PoV was that of a user, wondering
where to look first and which repository/package manager was best used
in case what I was looking for was present in both.

Rather than give an answer, I'll raise a further doubt: isn't this
question applicabile in general (e.g. to Firefox with it's xpi ports)?

While I like having my installed xpi/emacs extension listed in pkg's
reports (and only look in one place), I don't think the port system
might be able to track them all, so I'll eventually end up anyway with
some package which is not installed via pkg.

Just my 2c.

  bye
	av.