value of maintaining emacs-mode packages in ports

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Sun Nov 23 09:05:44 UTC 2014

"Christopher J. Ruwe" <cjr at cruwe.de> wrote:

> I am well aware that very probably I might be starting a rant thread,
> however, I am genuinely interested in opinions from the community.
>
> Since version 24, Emacs, the very good operating system missing only a
> decent editor, has developed a package manager for Emacs
> extensions. Some good repos exist, packages are usually installed to
> ~/.emacs.d and I have come to really enjoy that way of installing
> packages.
>
> In that light and as the ports maintainer of math/ess, the Emacs
> speaks statistics R-mode of emacs, I am asking myself specifically
> whether I add any real benefit in maintaining math/ess. More
> generally, I am interested in community answers as to whether it is
> really useful to maintain Emacs-extension-packages in ports.

I don't use math/ess, but in general I prefer to install application
extensions from ports. I already know how it works and this way I
also can check were the software is coming from without having to
familiarise myself with various different package managers and know
that checksums have been verified before installing it.

Does ELPA verify checksums? After searching the web for a couple of
minutes My impression is that it installs whatever the server
(or a MITM) provides but hopefully my impression is incorrect.

Fabian