value of maintaining emacs-mode packages in ports

Christopher J. Ruwe cjr at cruwe.de
Sat Nov 22 23:32:19 UTC 2014

I am well aware that very probably I might be starting a rant thread,
however, I am genuinely interested in opinions from the community.

Since version 24, Emacs, the very good operating system missing only a
decent editor, has developed a package manager for Emacs
extensions. Some good repos exist, packages are usually installed to
~/.emacs.d and I have come to really enjoy that way of installing
packages.

In that light and as the ports maintainer of math/ess, the Emacs
speaks statistics R-mode of emacs, I am asking myself specifically
whether I add any real benefit in maintaining math/ess. More
generally, I am interested in community answers as to whether it is
really useful to maintain Emacs-extension-packages in ports.

Thanks for your thoughts, cheers,
--
Christopher