Request for (i386) testing: american fuzzy lop

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Fri Nov 21 11:09:48 UTC 2014

Jan Beich <jbeich at vfemail.net> wrote:

> Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de> writes:
>
> > Vitaly Magerya <vmagerya at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I don't know what this part is supposed to do:
> >>
> >>     # Workaround to make sure clang isn't confused for gcc
> >>     CC=${COMPILER_TYPE}
> >>
> >> ... but it seems to set CC to empty string on my machine; and I
> >> get a whole bunch of this as the result:
> >
> > Interesting.
> >
> > It was supposed to set CC for gmake to either clang or gcc,
> > otherwise a cc that is clang is treated as gcc.
> >
> > However clobbering CC directly is obviously wrong and on
> > systems where cc is still gcc, the workaround shouldn't
> > be necessary anyway.
> >
> > Does it work for you if you replace the line with:
> > MAKE_ARGS+=	CC=${COMPILER_TYPE}
> > ?
>
> USE_GCC becomes a nop while setting explicitly fails
>
>   $ uname -rp
>   11.0-CURRENT amd64
>
>   $ echo CC=gcc49 >>/etc/.make.conf
>   $ make
>   ===>  Building for afl-0.60b
>   gmake[2]: Entering directory '/work/afl-0.60b'
>   [*] Checking for the ability to compile x86 code...
>   [+] All done! Be sure to review README - it's pretty short and useful.
>   gcc: not found
>
> Why not patch the vendor Makefile? Here're my changes:
>
>   - use $(CC) --version to detect clang
>   - remove -g from CFLAGS (see WITH_DEBUG)
>   - strip(1) binaries during install
>   - global TESTing with generic option name

Thanks a lot for the patch.

The CC detection has already been fixed upstream, but I took the
rest of the changes with the exception of renaming TEST_INSTRUMENTATION
to TEST (I think it's overloaded already, just like DOCS).

> while poudriere caught Clang i386 failing
>
>   [*] Testing the CC wrapper and instrumentation output...
>   AFL_QUIET=1 AFL_INST_RATIO=100 AFL_PATH=. ./afl-clang -O2 -pipe  -fstack-protector -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wno-pointer-sign -DAFL_PATH=\"/prefix/afl-0.60b/lib/afl\" -DDOC_PATH=\"/prefix/afl-0.60b/share/doc/afl\" -DVERSION=\"0.60b\" -Wno-format test-instr.c -o test-instr
>   /tmp/.afl-19244-1416499444.s: Assembler messages:
>   /tmp/.afl-19244-1416499444.s:222: Error: unknown pseudo-op: `.cfi_sections'
>   clang: error: assembler command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

I updated the port to (hopefully) use as from ports on i386:
http://www.fabiankeil.de/sourcecode/freebsd/afl-61b.shar

Does this make a difference?

If not, I'll probably just submit the port marked as broken
for i386 and try to get this working later on.

Fabian