Deleting ports distfiles

Royce Williams royce at tycho.org
Sun Nov 16 23:10:23 UTC 2014

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 1:55 PM, andrew clarke <mail at ozzmosis.com> wrote:
> On Sun 2014-11-16 23:29:37 UTC+0100, Dr. Peter Voigt (pvoigt at uos.de) wrote:
>
>> I have just seen that /usr/ports/distfiles has grown up to 12 GiB. My
>> hopefully not too stupid question is: Can I safely delete all files
>> under /usr/ports/distfiles, e.g.
>>
>> # rm -rf /usr/ports/distfiles/*
>>
>> I strongly suppose so but I am not sure. Thanks for any feedback.
>
> Yes. Missing distfiles will be redownloaded when/if you rebuild a port.

You can also delete just the unused ones, if you're using portmaster
or portupgrade ('portsclean' command).  See the bottom of the "Using
the Ports Collection" docs page:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/ports-using.html

Even if you don't use portmaster for anything else, using it for this
purpose is worth the install, IMO.

Royce