Reducing the size of the ports tree (brainstorm v2)

Bartek Rutkowski robak at freebsd.org
Fri Nov 7 20:24:06 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 9:15 PM, Jeffrey Bouquet via freebsd-ports
<freebsd-ports at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 11/07/14 10:32, Bartek Rutkowski wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 6:47 PM, Chris H <bsd-lists at bsdforge.com> wrote:
>>> On Fri, 7 Nov 2014 09:08:28 +0000 Bartek Rutkowski <robak at freebsd.org> wrote

>>> Aak! Seriously?! Eliminate ports? I _sincerely_ hope that isn't the
>>> intended result of the introduction of pkg(8). That would be a
>>> _horrible_ decision. For more reasons than I can list in a mailing
>>> list reply. Honestly. If this is true, has any real thought gone into
>>> the potential consequences resulting from this? We're not just talking
>>> about the affects on "geeks", and "hobbyists" here. We're talking about
>>> Shops, and Businesses that create specific products, for specific needs,
>>> and chose *BSD for what at least _was_ the freedom, and amount of
>>> _choices_ it offered. Making it, by comparison, more _flexible_ than
>>> it's alternatives. You'll effectively eliminate that market, traveling
>>> in the direction you appear to be going.
>>> If what I understand you to be saying is true. It appears FreeBSD is
>>> simply looking to parrot Linux, and relinquish "The power to serve".
>>> In exchange for competing for a strictly Desktop market. If true.
>>> This will mark a very dark year in history, for FreeBSD.
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>  Disappointed.
>> I think we've a little  misunderstanding here. At no point I've said
>> nor heard that ports are about to be eliminated. I did hovewer heard
>> that the goal is to deprecate them, as in, encourage users to move to
>> pkg entirely
> "Please explain [ not directed to THIS post,  but to the
> THREAD maybe... ] the narrowing-of-choice encouragement reasons"
>
> I am trying triply to politely address the issues and apologize in
> advance for any perceived disrespect to the points I am directly
> replying to...
>> , once pkg is a viable ports replacement,
> Once upon a time /var/db/pkg and upstream .tbz served as a "pkg"..
> that is, a tracking of ports, and a prebuilt subset of ports.  Nowhere did I
> ever imagine that a replacment for /var/db/pkg would encourage the non
> use, replacement, deprecation, discouragement, ...
>
> Again, with apologies.
>
>>  and to make that
>> a default way to install/maintain software on FreeBSD.
> If that existed before portmaster, portupgrade  were written, how would they
> have come into existence?
>
> How about "a convenient and reliable" ??   More below...
>>  At the end, it
>> would be very hard to 'eliminate' ports, since we still have to
>> generate the packages with something, dont we?
> Spot on.
> Not only that...  I always thought ports were FreeBSD's
> strong point.  Maintainers, ... innovations... new scripts... new
> categories...
>
>>  ;) Even said that, I
>> could be completely wrong here, misunderstood someone else and so on,
>> and by no means this discussion is a statement of what is going on to
> [...]

Apologies, but I will refrain from answering to anything you've
written and/or asked about because, with all due respect, your train
of thoughts or wording (and strange formatting too) renders your
message extremely hard to read not mentioning to understand it as you
would like it to be understood, at least for such non-native english
speaker as myself.

Kind regards,
Bartek Rutkowski