Reducing the size of the ports tree (brainstorm v2)

Chris H bsd-lists at bsdforge.com
Wed Nov 5 15:08:31 UTC 2014

On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 07:26:01 -0500 Lowell Gilbert
<freebsd-ports-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote

> "Chris H" <bsd-lists at bsdforge.com> writes:
>
> > Difficult to tell for sure. I haven't examined the [UFS/ZFS] source
> > to know for sure. Be valuable info. :)
>
> Reading source not required: start with "man newfs"; note blocksize and
> frag-size.
Indeed;
-b
..
The default size is 32768 bytes, and the smallest allowable
size is 4096 bytes.
..

Which only raises another question in my mind. I've got an old
40G pata I use for utilitarian duties. It has a hardware limit
of 512b. Does FreeBSD then re-calculate to ensure the >=4k block
size via CHS? Or does it remain unchanged?

BTW the only point with this, was it all seemed quite simple to
compensate, or cater to a mass of small files, and as such, seemed
like a trivial nit. I just seemed like there were bigger fish to
fry. :)

Thanks for the reply.

--Chris