Reducing the size of the ports tree (brainstorm v2)

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Mon Nov 3 01:28:16 UTC 2014

On 11/2/14, 10:50 AM, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 18:16:23 +0000 RW <rwmaillists at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 1 Nov 2014 00:07:23 +0100
>> Tijl Coosemans wrote:

>> I think it's worth remembering that this saves an amount of storage
>> that can be had for around 1 penny/cent. The threshold for this being
>> more trouble than it's worth is pretty low.
> The reason I looked into this is because many subversion operations
> are slow on the ports tree.  For me it's about saving time there and
> not so much about saving disk space.
Starting to think that we should think about making the ports into trees
that are category based and then another directory for the .mk files.

Subversion supports externals, git supports submodules.

Maybe it's time to leverage those and have a top level "project" with
svn externals or git submodules.

-Alfred