databases/mariadb55-server fails to package with oqgraph option

Michael Gmelin freebsd at grem.de
Fri May 30 17:26:17 UTC 2014

On Fri, 30 May 2014 07:10:36 -0700 (PDT)
Beeblebrox <zaphod at berentweb.com> wrote:

> I also have some questions about /usr/local/etc/mysql/my.cnf. I know
> that my.cnf is not really necessary, but I dislike some of the
> "standard behavior".
>
> * After 20140521 in UPDATING, I assume the "mysql_defaults_file=" is
> no longer needed in /etc/rc.conf?

This is correct.

> * Why do these files appear, and how can I a) not generate them  b)
> hide by placing them elsewhere? Do I even need InnoDB?
> aria_log.00000001 \ aria_log_control  \  ib_logfile0  \  ib_logfile1
> \  ibdata1

--skip-innodb, see below for details.

> * The hostname.err file shows below. Is this normal? I mean, server
> starts up with mysqld_safe (normal) but I cannot tell whether it
> later switches to normal mode or whether it remains in safe-mode for
> the rest of operation. mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with
> databases from /var/db/mysql InnoDB: The InnoDB memory heap is
> disabled InnoDB: Mutexes and rw_locks use GCC atomic builtins
> InnoDB: Compressed tables use zlib 1.2.8
> InnoDB: Initializing buffer pool, size = 128.0M
> InnoDB: Completed initialization of buffer pool
> InnoDB: highest supported file format is Barracuda.
> InnoDB: Waiting for the background threads to start
> Percona XtraDB (http://www.percona.com) 5.5.35-MariaDB-33.0 started;
> log sequence number 27993961
> [Note] Server socket created on IP: '0.0.0.0'.
> [Note] Event Scheduler: Loaded 0 events
> [Note] /usr/local/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections.
> Version: '5.5.35-MariaDB'  socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock'  port: 3306
> FreeBSD Ports
> -------------
> InnoDB: Starting shutdown...
> InnoDB: Shutdown completed; log sequence number 27993961
> [Note] /usr/local/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown complete
> mysqld_safe mysqld from pid file /var/db/mysql/q.rsb.pid ended

Looks good ti me. Never forget running "mysql_upgrade"
after updating mariadb though (unrelated, just crossed my mind)

> * Which of these in my.cnf are wrong / unnecessary?
> [mysqld]
> user = mysql
> port = 3306
> pid-file = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
> socket = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
> log-error = /var/log/mysql.log

Use the following in /etc/rc.conf:

mysql_limits="YES"
mysql_pidfile="/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid"

(setting the correct pid file this way is important for startup
scripts)

After doing that you can remove all but "socket" and "log-error".
Personally I prefer to have it all in rc.conf, so you put this in
/etc/rc.conf:

mysql_args="--socket=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock --log-error=/var/log/mysql.log"

And remove all your my.cnf configuration options.

If you want to start without innodb, add "--skip-innodb" to mysql_args in rc.conf.

After doing all of this your my.cnf id empty (unless you tune more, which
usually makes sense on a production system) and your /etc/rc.conf contains:

mysql_enable="YES"
mysql_limits="YES"
mysql_pidfile="/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid"
mysql_args="--skip-innodb --socket=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock --log-error=/var/log/mysql.log"

- Michael

--
Michael Gmelin