forcing specific Java version as dependency

Vick Khera vivek at khera.org
Thu May 29 15:09:31 UTC 2014

I'm using poudriere to build packages to use on my servers (I have
about 20 of them). One of the packages I need is www/tomcat-native.
However, the way poudriere builds the ports, they are built in an
empty jail, so when tomcat-native selects the JDK to use, it picks
openjdk6 to install as a dependency. I need it to build against
OpenJDK7, since that is what my main software needs to run.

I read through the bsd.java.mk file and could not find a knob to set
(or even a hack around it) to get tomcat-native to pick openjdk7 as my
preferred JDK.

Please advise how to accomplish this. It is important to be able to do
this if we want to be able to have binary-package only FreeBSD
management.

Thanks!