pkg 2 ng conversion

Jim Ohlstein jim at ohlste.in
Wed May 28 18:37:04 UTC 2014

Hello,

On 5/28/14, 2:13 PM, Jim Pazarena wrote:
> I have several servers, some 9.1, 9.2, 10.0
> all nagging about the deprecated package system.
> So I've bitten the bullet and am converting to the new pkg system.
> The notes for conversion indicate you must add "WITH_PKGNG=yes" to
> make.conf. Also done.
>
> On a new/fresh install, V10, should a person immediately place
> "WITH_PKGNG=yes" in the make.conf ? And then is it not required
> to run pkg2ng ? Or is it implied? It seems not, but I cannot find
> documentation in this respect.

In my experience it is unnecessary to add "WITH_PKGNG=yes" in a fresh
FreeBSD 10 box, and it is certainly not necessary to run pkg2ng since
there are no installed packages.

The pkg_* tools are not included in FreeBSD 10 and the pkg(ng) system is
the default.

--
Jim Ohlstein

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the
difference." - Mark Twain