FreeBSD ports which are currently scheduled for deletion

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sat May 24 22:26:31 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Kurt Jaeger <lists at opsec.eu> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > I agree that there was a lot of change in the ports tree recently.
> > But: There is a reason for this: The ports tree has to be cleaner
> > so that it can provide better automatic processes to the users.
> > It's not easy, but it's getting there.
>
> I found a presentation which really goes deep into the process
> and reasoning behind going to pkgng and staging:
>
> http://www.slideshare.net/VsevolodStakhov/new-solver-for-freebsd-pkg
>
> Very cool stuff.

As far as avoiding breaking things on older versions that you no longer
have available or newer ones you have yet to install anywhere,  remember
redports,org <https://redports.org>. I find it invaluable for testing ports
in a variety of environments. It currently supports 8.4, 9.2, 10.0, and
HEAD on amd64 and i386. https://redports.org
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com