Net-SNMP conflict

Matthew Seaman matthew at freebsd.org
Tue May 20 15:49:16 UTC 2014

On 05/20/14 15:05, Richard Kuhns wrote:
> Mark Felder wrote:
>> On 2014-05-20 03:18, Pete Carah wrote:
>>> PLEASE don't automatically install pkg during the build of ANY other
>>> package; if this happens in the middle of a portupgrade -a on a system
>>> without pkgng, the result is not pretty; all packages built after
>>> net-snmp have a duplicated origin, among other things.  I hope I can
>>> recover the system since it is supposed to be a production server.
>>>
>>> Yes, I realize I'll have to convert.  However, this forced install
>>> doesn't convert the database so the pkg database and /var/db/pkg end up
>>> inconsistent, and I can't tell what is really installed on all of the
>>> packages that show a duplicated origin.
>>>

>> ports-mgmt/pkg should not be a dependency of any port. Are you saying
>> this happened? Can you identify which port?

Actually, pkg(8) being a dependency of something else is OK.  It's
pkg(8) itself that should not have any dependencies.

> The Makefile for net-mgmt/net-snmp contains this snippet:
>
> # pkg-1.2 cannot handle this dependency well.
> .if !defined(WITH_PKGNG)
> LIB_DEPENDS=    libpkg.so:${PORTSDIR}/ports-mgmt/pkg
> .endif

net-snmpd uses pkg(8) to extract the list of installed packages.

To the OP: just having pkg(8) installed out of ports and sitting on your
drive will not hurt you.  You have to start running it before anything
(nice or nasty) would happen.

If you don't want to switch to pkgng just yet, then don't run pkg2ng.
Similarly don't add 'WITH_PKGNG=yes' to /etc/make.conf (if you're going
to be compiling your own ports using portmaster(8) or otherwise) and
don't use pkg(8) to install any packages.  Everything that is pkgng
aware should be using somewhat more sophisticated tests than just 'is
/usr/local/sbin/pkg installed' to determine if the system is pkgng-ified
or not.

	Cheers,

	Matthew