Net-SNMP conflict

Bryan Drewery bryan-lists at shatow.net
Tue May 20 15:05:24 UTC 2014

On 2014-05-20 04:18, Pete Carah wrote:
> PLEASE don't automatically install pkg during the build of ANY other
> package; if this happens in the middle of a portupgrade -a on a system
> without pkgng, the result is not pretty; all packages built after
> net-snmp have a duplicated origin, among other things.  I hope I can
> recover the system since it is supposed to be a production server.
>
> Yes, I realize I'll have to convert.  However, this forced install
> doesn't convert the database so the pkg database and /var/db/pkg end up
> inconsistent, and I can't tell what is really installed on all of the
> packages that show a duplicated origin.
>
> -- Pete

(portupgrade maintainer and pkg developer here)

Having pkg installed should be perfectly safe. Portupgrade, nor the
ports framework, consider pkg installed as "converted". All packages
will continue to be registered in the old format unless you run
pkg2ng or 'pkg install' or add WITH_PKGNG=yes to your make.conf.

Can you please elaborate on what the "duplicated origin" issue
is?

net-snmp also should (if I remember the code I reviewed right) be
only considering the new package database if it has packages in it,
meaning not until you pkg2ng or 'pkg install'.

--
Regards,
Bryan Drewery