lang/gcc and tmpfs no space let on device

Volodymyr Kostyrko arcade at b1t.name
Fri May 16 13:09:42 UTC 2014

16.05.2014 15:43, Marko Cupać wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using 10.0-RELEASE-p3 amd64, and am trying to build lang/gcc as a
> dependency for emulators/virtualbox-ose. Building fails giving the
> following messages:
>
> jc1: fatal error: error writing to /tmp/ccwgXZ8m.s: No space left on
> device compilation terminated.
> gmake[5]: *** [javax/crypto/spec.lo] Error 1
> gmake[5]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
> jc1: fatal error: error writing to /tmp/ccaXjTvk.s: No space left on
> device compilation terminated.
> gmake[5]: *** [java/util/zip.lo] Error 1
> jc1: fatal error: error writing to /tmp/cc9iMz48.s: No space left on
> device compilation terminated.
>
> I am using 128mb tmpfs file system mounted at /tmp:
> tmpfs   /tmp   tmpfs   rw,size=128m,mode=1777   0 0
>
> Does anyone know how big /tmp do I need to have in order to compile
> lang/gcc successfully?

AFAIK the defaults for on-disk /tmp was something like 1G not so long ago.

On the other hand making /tmp small doesn't help anything. On all my
machines I'm trying to allocate enough swap (at least 4G) and I never
had nailed /tmp fs size to relatively small values. Moreover, I always
set WRKDIRPREFIX to /tmp/ports so all port building will go to /tmp
resulting in faster port builds. I'm using portmaster that has one neat
feature to build required port one by one clearing build directory after
each port was built so I had never ran into /tmp fs size issues except
when building OpenOffice.

--
Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.