lang/gcc and tmpfs no space let on device

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-ports-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri May 16 12:57:47 UTC 2014

Marko Cupać <marko.cupac at mimar.rs> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am using 10.0-RELEASE-p3 amd64, and am trying to build lang/gcc as a
> dependency for emulators/virtualbox-ose. Building fails giving the
> following messages:
>
> jc1: fatal error: error writing to /tmp/ccwgXZ8m.s: No space left on
> device compilation terminated.
> gmake[5]: *** [javax/crypto/spec.lo] Error 1
> gmake[5]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
> jc1: fatal error: error writing to /tmp/ccaXjTvk.s: No space left on
> device compilation terminated.
> gmake[5]: *** [java/util/zip.lo] Error 1
> jc1: fatal error: error writing to /tmp/cc9iMz48.s: No space left on
> device compilation terminated.
>
> I am using 128mb tmpfs file system mounted at /tmp:
> tmpfs   /tmp   tmpfs   rw,size=128m,mode=1777   0 0
>
> Does anyone know how big /tmp do I need to have in order to compile
> lang/gcc successfully?

I don't know the answer to the question you asked, but I'd recommend not
using tmpfs for it; just use disk space instead. In this case I *think*
that setting WRKDIRPREFIX is the way to do that, but it might be TMPDIR
instead.

(modern) Bourne shell syntax:
export WRKDIRPREFIX=/usr/scratch/tmp ;export TMPDIR=/usr/scratch/temp