FreeBSD Port: print/cups-base - Avahi backend

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Tue May 13 06:52:11 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 1:51 PM, Raivo Hool <raivo.hool at gmail.com> wrote:
> The cups-base port has been marked as BROKEN if built against Avahi since version 1.4. (The Makefile even helpfully points the user to http://www.avahi.org/ticket/303 which states that the problem exists with CUPS version 1.4 and that a fix is in the making.) Since version 1.6, however, there exists native Avahi support in CUPS and there is really no point in marking the port broken and including all kinds of compatibility headers that are no longer of any use whatsoever. Building CUPS 1.7 directly against Avahi works well and without any need for the avahi-compat-libdns_sd headers. I tested the setup on my system and came up with the following patch that incidentally also checks whether one or the other mDNS backend was selected and activates the pkg-plist magic accordingly. (Note how the dependency on avahi-libdns has been replaced with a dependency on avahi-app, as the configure script checks for the presence of libavahi-client.so, installed by net/avahi-app.)

You might want to change these lines from:

PLIST_SUB+= WITH_MDNSRESPONDER="" WITH_AVAHI="@comment "

PLIST_SUB+=  DNSSD="" MDNSRESPONDER=""

Then in pkg-plist use:

%%DNSSD%%libexec/cups/backend/dnssd
%%MDNSRESPONDER%%libexec/cups/backend/dnssd

This way you don't list 'libexec/cups/backend/dnssd' twice in the pkg-plist.

Send the patch as a PR and someone should eventually get to it.

--
DISCLAIMER:

No electrons were maimed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.