Unable to use ports on 8.3 or earlier since r352986

Bryan Drewery bdrewery at FreeBSD.org
Sat May 10 14:46:06 UTC 2014

On 5/9/2014 7:24 AM, Gyrd Thane Lange wrote:
> Den 09. mai 2014 14:01, skrev Steven Hartland:
>> Since the following commit ports is now broken on 8.3 and earlier.
>> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=352986
>>
>> Now while 8.3 is now officially EOL as of 9 days ago such a
>> breakage so soon after the EOL seems very bad.
>>
>> Can we consider reverting this and only applying after a
>> decent amount of time to give people the chance to update
>> without preventing them from getting port security updates etc?
>
> As a work-around it may be possible to install the devel/bmake port and
> use it for port management. (Disclaimer: have not tried it, but it
> should be possible in theory.)
>
> Best regards,
> Gyrd ^_^

Yes this should work. Install devel/bmake, then use 'bmake' instead of
'make' when interacting with the ports tree. Or install devel/fmake and
use 'fmake'. Either works.

--
Regards,
Bryan Drewery