[portmaster/pkg] Detecting build-only dependencies

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Sat May 10 13:51:07 UTC 2014

On 10/05/2014 14:29, A.J. 'Fonz' van Werven wrote:
> A quick question if I may: in a setup using Portmaster and pkg, is there
> any way (some kind of "pkg query" perhaps?) to obtain a list of which
> currently installed ports are build-only dependencies?

pkg(8) only deals with run-time dependencies.  It also marks ports that
were not specifically requested to be installed as candidates for
automatic removal.  Build dependencies should fit the conditions for
autoremoval -- flagged as suitable and not having anything else
depending on them -- so try running 'pkg autoremove -n' and inspect the
output to see what looks suitable.

Of course, this will not be completely accurate.  You may have installed
a specific port by hand so it doesn't get the build dependency flag.
You may have packages installed that used to be dependencies of
something else, since removed.  You're going to have to use your own
skill and judgement to decide.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--