net/samba41 port compiles nmbd as a shared object, not executable

Timur I. Bakeyev timur at FreeBSD.org
Sat May 10 12:47:31 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 8:20 PM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at ixsystems.com>wrote:

> On 05/08/14 15:10, John Hixson wrote:
>

>> So, fix what ?
>> We were seeing that smbd was not dumping core. It would claim to be
>> dumping
>> core but wasn't. It appears this is completely unrelated. The issue
>> turns out to be the kern.sugid_coredump sysctl. Once this is set, smbd
>> will core fine.
>>

> OK, so after discussions with John, I understand what is going on.
> The net/samba41 port is fine, and nothing needs to be changed in it.
>
> We just need to verify in our application that kern.sugid_coredump=1 is
> set,
> in order to get debuggable coredumps from Samba.

Ok, nice to know this. As I understand, iXsystems now fully moved to Samba
4.1?

I those thinking, guys, that you may wanted to create at the top of FreeNAS
Samba4 appliance, similar to the one, provided by SerNet, only FreeBSD
based. So, it can act as a Windows AD replacement in certain environments.
In general, we have everything in ports to make the one.

With best regards,
Timur Bakeyev.