i386 emacs run-time dependency on gcc?

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 6 19:57:44 UTC 2014

On 06 May 2014, at 20:41, James R. Van Artsdalen <james-freebsd-ports at jrv.org> wrote:
> I realize emacs needs to be built with gcc on i386

Not since head r263312, which I also merged to stable/10 and stable/9 in
r263765.  Just comment the USE_GCC line in editors/emacs/Makefile.

> but should there be
> a run-time dependency too?  The emacs package tarball requires gcc to
> install.

If you build with a gcc port, the program will require the gcc runtime
support (e.g. libgcc, libstdc++) of that particular version.  Usually it
is installed in /usr/local/lib/gccXY.

Currently there do not seem to be any separate 'gccXY-libs' ports.  I am
not sure if that will come to pass, as many people appear to loathe this
kind of separated packages... :)

-Dimitry