ports/189208: Add a mention of WITH_OPENSSL_PORT to the pkg-descr of security/openssl

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Sat May 3 17:55:41 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 11:35 AM, Paul Hoffman <phoffman at proper.com> wrote:
> Note that the description below does *not* match what people were saying last week about how things work. My reading of the earlier thread was that, unless you had WITH_OPENSSL_PORT=yes in /etc/make.conf, a port needing OpenSSL would make with OpenSSL from the base.
>
> I am not a porter and wouldn't know where to look in the code, so I can't figure out which is right. But it is clear that this is worth clarifying both in the openssl pkg-descr *and* in the make.conf man page.

bsd.openssl.mk has the falling checks:

if WITH_OPENSSL_BASE is set, then use the base system's OpenSSL.
if WITH_OPENSSL_BASE or WITH_OPENSSL_PORT are not set, check if
${LOCALBASE}/lib/libcrypto.so is installed, if it is then use the
OpenSSL port, otherwise use the base system's OpenSSL.
if WITH_OPENSSL_PORT is set, then use the OpenSSL port

So, if you install the OpenSSL port first, then ports that require
OpenSSL should be built against the OpenSSL Port.

--
DISCLAIMER:

No electrons were maimed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.