net-im/prosody post install error

Ross Penner rossp at f-m.fm
Mon Mar 31 21:14:05 UTC 2014

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014, at 08:47 AM, Scot Hetzel wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 9:55 PM, Ross Penner <rossp at f-m.fm> wrote:
> > When I try to build prosody (on FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p3), I get the
> > following error once it gets to the installation phase. The error
> > references already having a prosody user and group. They were created
> > the first time I tried to install and this message is from my second
> > attempt.
> >
> > ===>  Installing for prosody-0.9.3
> > /bin/sh /usr/ports/net-im/prosody/work/pkg-install prosody-0.9.3
> > PRE-INSTALL
> > prosody:*:242:
> > You already have a group "prosody", so I will use it.
> > pw: user 'prosody' already exists
> > Adding user "prosody" failed...
> > *** [pre-install] Error code 1
> >

> > Thanks for any help or insight you can provide.
>
> The pkg-install script should be detecting the user, what does the
> following command show?
>
> /usr/sbin/pw user show prosody ; echo $?
>
> On my system with no prosody user it returns with:
>
> pw: no such user `prosody`
> 67
>
> It should return with a value of zero, when the port is installed:
>
> # /usr/sbin/pw user show prosody ; echo $?
> prosody:*:242:1::0:0:Prosody XMMP Server:/nonexistent:/usr/sbin/nologin
> 0
>
> I have tried installing/deinstalling/re-installing the port, and don't
> get the prosody user already exists error.

ok, so I run "/usr/sbin/pw user show prosody ; echo $?" and I get the
same error you do on your system with no user. When I look at
/etc/passwd, the prosody user is there:

prosody:*:242:1:Prosody XMPP Server:/nonexistent:/usr/sbin/nologin

Also, when I try to remove the prosody user, it fails:

# pw userdel -n prosody
pw: no such user `prosody'