Port Request: Mono Moonlight

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sat Mar 29 10:48:53 UTC 2014

On Saturday, March 29, 2014 6:09 AM, Thomas Mueller replied:

> > Silverlight 2 supports Microsoft /PlayReady/ Digital Rights Management
> > (DRM). This is the DRM solution being used by Netflix's "Watch
> > Instantly" service for streaming movies to PC (Windows-only) and Mac
> > computers.
> > Status: *unsupported*
> ==========
> > And a quick google seems to indicate that the only way to watch
> > netflix on Linux is wine or a VM. So you'd have to look at one of
> > those as a solution.
> > Vince
> If this Digital Rights Management is how Netflix treats its customers, we
> ought to be content to not give Netflix our money.
> At least, that's how I feel.
> I also remember, before installing the popup blocker in (Mozilla) Seamonkey,
> a Netflix window would pop up on top of the web page I was viewing: very
> annoying.  That deterred me from wanting anything to do with Netflix.
> On the subject of Silverlight and Moonlight, I remember that for a time,
> freefilefillableforms.com required Silverlight for using their site to prepare
> their forms for e-filing U.S. income tax returns.  Then it was Adobe Flash.
> Now I don't know.
> Tom

An entity, whether it is an individual or a corporation, tends to use whatever will give it the most "bang for the buck". 90% or better of all PCs used by individuals, or in a corporate environment, can easily handle either Adobe Flash or MS Silverlight. The problem does not lie with these somewhat competing technologies, but rather with the refusal or inability for the remaining 10% cope with this fact. You can cry all night in the dark, or light a candle. I much prefer to light the candle.


More information about the freebsd-ports mailing list