LPPL10 license consequences intended? (arabic/arabtex)

John Marino freebsd.contact at marino.st
Sat Mar 29 10:35:04 UTC 2014

On 3/29/2014 11:14, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 09:39:42AM +0100, John Marino wrote:
>> *this* is a crappy attitude though.
>
> No, that's the sound of burnout.
>
> IMVHO, one of the contributing factors to burnout is exactly this kind
> of email.  It was certainly the case in my decision to step back over a
> year ago.

Come on, Mark.
First of all, he started with the attitude, not me.  Don't dish it out
if you don't want a response.  But everyone is a victim nowadays, rights?

> I appreciate that you are doing some good work for the project, but I
> find your current attitude disappointing.  Not everything that ought
> to happen quickly does, on a volunteer project.

tabthorpe is not just anybody, he's an assigned leader.  Despite his
intention to step down, he's still in that role today.  I do expect
people in leadership positions that they've agreed to assume to lead by
example.  Part of that is not just blowing off emails.  The "volunteer"
excuse is old and used as a blanket excuse for not doing what ought to
be done.  obviously it is often valid, but now it is often abused.

Happen quickly? sure, I agree with that, it's life.  Not Responding /
acknowledging quickly? I disagree.  It's easy to say, "Hey, I see the
issue, I'm pretty swamped for the next 10 days.  I'll take a look at it
after that if nobody else does in the meantime.  And we should think
about how to centralize licensing...".

This licensing topic is actually kind of a big mess that nobody seems to
be leading, and it's not even clear if missing licenses is a problem.
What's the policy?  It would be better to disable the entire framework
than continue with this half-support.

John