Port Request: Mono Moonlight

John Marino freebsd.contact at marino.st
Fri Mar 28 11:01:15 UTC 2014

On 3/28/2014 11:46, Paul Pathiakis wrote:
> Here's a big part of honesty.... I'm a senior systems architect.  I'm
> building a company and hope to go live soon, after two years of
> developing product and infrastructure.  I do this when not
> contracting/consulting.

Good luck with the startup!
I assume then the netflix need is not business related.  You still
should do the legwork to figure out which s/w, if any, allows the
viewing on Netflix on FreeBSD.  It's fine to say, "I want netflix", and
a consultant would run with those customer requirements, but volunteers:
not so much.  I'm just giving you suggestions to increase your odds of
success.

> I really don't have the time. :-(  Besides, haven't coded outside of
> scripting in quite a while.

Makefiles are comparable to scripting.  You aren't doing any coding
yourself unless the s/w requires patches to work on FreeBSD.  Makefiles
are basically a set of instructions on how to build the s/w and in many
cases it's limited to "run the makefile that comes with the s/w" and the
whole thing is like 20 lines long in the best cases.  So I suspect you
have the basic skills unless the word "compiler" is foreign to you. :)

> If the company is a success, I plan on having it financing a lot of
> projects. :-)

Which is another option for you: bounties.  A bounty is a small payment
offered for a specific job, so you could always say $50 for anyone that
produces this for me.  I've never participated in bounties myself (on
either side) but at least it's an option.

> Once I retire (less than 15 years.... yeah, I'm old), I plan on
> spending a lot of free time working for FreeBSD/ports/documentation.
> :-)

Which would be great!
John