poudriere jail HEAD with specific revision?

Matthew Seaman matthew at freebsd.org
Mon Mar 24 14:36:08 UTC 2014

On 03/24/14 11:40, Muhammad Moinur Rahman wrote:
> To be more specific this is how I make a HEAD that matches my Host version:
> poudriere jail -c -j 110amd64 -v head at r262857 -a amd64 -m svn
> root at bofh:~ # uname -ar
> FreeBSD bofh.1asiacom.net 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #0 r262857: Thu
> Mar  6 22:59:25 BDT 2014
> bofh at bofh.1asiacom.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SCORPION
>  amd64

It's also the case that so long as your jail is a) the same major
revision as your host, and b) not newer than your host then you should
be able to compile and use packages without problems.  'host' here means
the machine where you are installing the packages -- if you're just
compiling on the machine then the 'same major version' constraint goes
away as well, so you can compile for any earlier version[*].  Using the
freebsd-update release sets for this is quicker than building a new jail
from SVN, and the packages work just fine on a system installed from svn
sources.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] Well, it's known to work for versions from 8.x and up. No idea if
anyone is routinely building 7.x packages using poudriere...