Libiconv confusion on 10.0-RELEASE

Dr. Peter Voigt pvoigt at uos.de
Fri Mar 21 12:57:23 UTC 2014

Am Thu, 20 Mar 2014 21:07:05 -0400
schrieb Adam McDougall <mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu>:

> In short, if you installed 10.0-RELEASE, don't pay any attention to
> libiconv unless you are having specific problems.  Do not try to fight
> ports from using libiconv from ports, they are using that version for
> a good reason.  You don't really have a choice.  Just relax and go
> with the flow.  Don't try to force things to use one or the other.

Thank you very much for clarifying this. I would have wished a similar
clear statement in /usr/ports/UPDATING as I am obviously not the only
one who is misinterpreting the base iconv role.

But may be I am a bit too focused on migrating as I have just
recently finish the necessary migration to databases/db5. And of course
from time to time I have had some trouble in the past with broken ports
dependencies worrying it might be the same with iconv :-).

Regards,
Peter