Plex Media Server Port issues

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 21:30:59 UTC 2014

On 03/19/2014 06:59 PM, Mark Felder wrote:
> On 2014-03-18 18:36, Kaya Saman wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm experiencing 3 issues with the Plex Media Server....
>>
>> My configuration is running FreeBSD 10.0 x64 with the ports tree up
>> to date.
>>
>> Issue 1: Upon first installing the port everything went fine however,
>> PMS wouldn't start and kept complaining about a Python C Lang issue...
>> Google'ing  I managed to find a FreeBSD Forum posting stating to
>> insert this line:
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>> export LD_LIBMAP="/lib/libc.so.7
>> /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/libc.so.7"
>>

>> in the start.sh file located in: /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver
>>

>> In addition I had to comment out these two lines:
>>
>> #export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
>> #export LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
>>
>> in the start.sh file.
>>

> On FreeBSD we do not use the start.sh file supplied by Plex. We only
> use the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/plexmediaserver script. I did not strip it
> out of the port/package install as I did not feel that was necessary,
> but I will consider doing so to prevent this confusion in the future.
>
> Everything should work just fine using the FreeBSD rc script. I've
> tested on FreeBSD 9, 10, and CURRENT as well as in jails.

Thanks for the response!

Ok this is strange, as I've just installed to root OS (non-jailed).

# ps aux |grep plex
plex  46502   0.0  0.2 208064  17204  -  IsJ   4:06PM     0:07.88
/usr/local/sh
plex  46503   0.0  0.1 223992  10188  -  SNJ   4:06PM     0:21.70 Plex
Plug-in
plex  46508   0.0  0.1 139844   5260  -  SJ    4:06PM     0:01.15
/usr/local/sh
root  76712   0.0  0.0  18724   1760  3  S+    9:12PM     0:00.00 grep plex

# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/plexmediaserver start
Starting plexmediaserver.

Again I get "Sign in to Plex Account" when going to URL:
http://<ip>:32400/web

the redirect goes here: 32400/web/index.html#!/login

>> Issue 2: As I'm running PMS in a Jail on a headless server, for some
>> reason the rc script doesn't start properly?? This is quite weird...
>>
>> Using an SSH tunnel running: service plexmediaserver start or the
>> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/plexmediaserver start method, not all services
>> seem to come up properly.
>>

> What exactly do you mean "not all services seem to come up properly"?
> You should see the following two processes at a minimum:
>
> /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server
> /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/Plex DLNA Server

Sorry for not being more specific... the web service sometimes doesn't
come up on port 32400.... also I run into <above> login situation on
other occasions. If I start the service from VNC:
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/plexmediaserver start

then all seems to be fine??

<snip time lapse>

Ok, just copied my previous Preferences.xml content over to new instance
and now Plex comes up fine!

DLNA also is working! Thankfully I held off sending this email until now
as it seems everything is fine and working :-)

Seems to be the Jail was my issue and perhaps not enough memory ;-) as
8GB with 40TB over ZFS isn't much!!

>> Probably linked in with this is that not VNC'ing leaves me unable to
>> login at the web interface. Putting my Plex ID/passwd combo in doesn't
>> do a thing.
>>

> This is a permissions issue caused by not running Plex from the rc
> script which automatically launches the process as the "plex" user.
>

>> Issue 3: For some reason the DLNA server doesn't work properly....
>>
>> Though it does show up as online using ps:
>>
>> plex  89291  0.0  0.2 139844 17808  -  SJ   10:40PM 0:00.15
>> /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/Plex DLNA Server
>>
>> It doesn't seem to broadcast itself.
>>

> If you're running in a jail you're correct, this will not work. DLNA
> uses multicast and multicast does not work in FreeBSD jails.

Aha hence my switch to root OS per above!

> Let's start fresh here; remove the port, delete any contents in
> /usr/local/plexdata, and reinstall the port.
>
> Add plexmediaserver_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf and start the
> service. It should start up flawlessly as I've handled all these
> quirks in the rc script (except the multicast in a jail issue; I
> cannot fix that).

...again see <above>