net/samba36: ERROR: lock directory /var/run/samba/ does not exist

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Mar 18 14:15:39 UTC 2014

On CURRENT, I receive this error message when trying to start net/samba36:

ERROR: lock directory /var/run/samba/ does not exist

System: FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #1 r263252: Sun Mar 16 22:27:29 CET 2014 amd64

Filesystem /var/run is tmpfs and resides on a SSD!

I'm confused. Years ago, I had a similar problem with samba3[46] when I intriduced myself
to tmpfs-backed /var/run. The start-script of sambe residing in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba
wasn't capable of checking the existence of /var/run/samba so startup failed. in the
meanwhile, I thought this was fixed - the problem I report in is present somehow since
January, but I can not be more specific.

I deleted /usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba and reinstalled net/samba36. After reinstallation,
samba can be started on a regular basis. But after a reboot, it couldn't.

I have no clue what is happening here. Any suggestions?

Oliver