changes to base system DNS

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 20:47:56 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 12:57 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Mar 2014, Robert Huff wrote:
>
>  Warren Block writes:
>>
>>  From dim memory of a couple of weeks ago...
>>>

>>    Making sure I understand: doing this (or the corrected version) will
>> bring up
>> named at the same point in the boot process as using system named in
>> previous versions?
>>

> It looks and acts the same, but I can't say definitively that it runs at
> the same time as before.

"rcorder /etc/rc.d/* /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*" on the old and new systems and
compare the locations of named vs. local_unbound? Looks like local_unbound
starts a bit earlier as it does not require that the network be up and
running since it is a client-only. But the full unbound does not start
until after logins are enabled at the very end of the process.

So it depends on what capability you are looking for as to whether it
starts earlier or later. (No easy answers here.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com