Question regarding pkg multirepo dependency resolution

Michael Gmelin freebsd at grem.de
Wed Mar 12 21:10:39 UTC 2014

Hi,

I've been playing with pkg multirepo support. I somehow managed to
get priorities of repos in the right order, but it seems like this
doesn't affect dependency resolution order (my repo is named "AAA")

Example:
By build host has t1lib without X11 support, so

pkg install -r AAA t1lib

gives me:

Updating repository catalogue
The following 1 packages will be installed:

        Installing t1lib: 5.1.2_2,1 [AAA]

The installation will require 2 MB more space

703 KB to be downloaded

Proceed with installing packages [y/N]:

If I'm not forcing to use my repo, it will use the dependency tree of
the FreeBSD hosted version of the package, but then get the different
parts of it from my repo (and those not available on my host from
FreeBSD):

pkg install t1lib
Updating repository catalogue
The following 19 packages will be installed:

        Installing xproto: 7.0.25 [AAA]
        Installing xextproto: 7.2.1 [AAA]
        Installing printproto: 1.0.5 [FreeBSD]
        Installing libXdmcp: 1.1.1 [AAA]
        Installing libXau: 1.0.8 [AAA]
        Installing libxml2: 2.8.0_3 [AAA]
        Installing libpthread-stubs: 0.3_4 [AAA]
        Installing libxcb: 1.9.3 [AAA]
        Installing kbproto: 1.0.6 [AAA]
        Installing libX11: 1.6.2,1 [AAA]
        Installing libXext: 1.3.2,1 [AAA]
        Installing libICE: 1.0.8,1 [AAA]
        Installing libSM: 1.2.2,1 [AAA]
        Installing libXt: 1.1.4,1 [AAA]
        Installing libXp: 1.0.2,1 [FreeBSD]
        Installing libXmu: 1.1.2,1 [FreeBSD]
        Installing t1lib: 5.1.2_2,1 [AAA]
        Installing libXpm: 3.5.11 [FreeBSD]
        Installing libXaw: 1.0.12,2 [FreeBSD]

The installation will require 25 MB more space

6 MB to be downloaded

Proceed with installing packages [y/N]:

Is this intentional/unavoidable (keep the biggest set of dependencies)?
Part of running my own build host is to keep things limited (e.g. no X11
support).

Thanks,
Michael

--