large pkg installs - experience

Marko Cupać marko.cupac at mimar.rs
Mon Jun 30 10:59:51 UTC 2014

On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 11:31:11 +0100 (BST)
Anton Shterenlikht <mexas at bris.ac.uk> wrote:

> 2. Xfce install required some tweaking, I think not all
> packages were available from the default repo. In addition,
> I had to amend .xsession mentioned in the manual:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html
> echo "exec /usr/local/bin/startxfce4" >> ~/.xsession
>
> to this:
>
> if [ -z "$DESKTOP_SESSION" -a -x /usr/bin/ck-launch-session ]; then
>     exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch /usr/local/bin/startxfce4
> else
>     exec dbus-launch /usr/local/bin/startxfce4
> fi

You can run system-wide dbus (by adding dbus_enable="YES" to rc.conf),
and start xfce with startxfce4 --with-ck-launch.

Personally, as only user of my laptop I am autologging by appending the
following to /etc/gettytab (pacija is the username of autologged user):

# Autologin by pacija
pacija:\
	:ht:np:sp#115200:al=pacija:

Next, I am modifying line in /etc/ttys:

#ttyv1	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm	on secure
ttyv1	"/usr/libexec/getty pacija"	xterm	on secure

And finally, appending the following to .tcshrc (assuming my default
shell is tcsh, and copying .cshrc to .tcshrc if it does not exist):

if ($tty == ttyv1) then
	startxfce4 --with-ck-launch
	logout
endif

Very happy with Xfce here, haven't look back at gnome for 4 years.
--
Marko Cupać