rpath issues with a port

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 18:50:30 UTC 2014

editors/emacs currently fails on most 10.0 systems because it links to
libgomp.so. The problem is that the base system contains a stub library for
this in /usr/lib with the real library being installed as a port of he gcc
ports in /usr/local/lib.
the problem I see is that configuring fails when the a test for gtk tries
to link to that library, but fails to find several symbols that, of course,
are not in the stub, but just the real library.

The test in configure includes "-rpath=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib and, since
libgomp.so is present on he first path, that one is used and the configure
fails. The error occurs when attempting to pull in a couple of libraries
from Imagemagick which builds just fine while linking directly to
libgomp.so, while emacs fails when attempting to link to the Imagemagick
libraries that are linked to it.

I have very little experience with autotools. I have spend time looking at
configure.in and configure.ac, but have failed to figure out how the rpath
option is generates or how to reverse the order of the path for libgomp.

Can anyone give my a clue as to how this works? Since there are a number of
stub libs in the system, I assume that this is not a problem unique to this
port.

N.B. Ihave succeeded in updating emacs on my system by moving the base
version of libgomp aside during the build, so I am looking for how to deal
with the generic problem, not this specific instance. A bug (191193) is
open with additional details on the emacs failure.

Thanks,
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com