Crash incompatibility port serf-1.3.6/Subversion 1.8.9 and base Heimdal 1.1.0

Michael-O 1983-01-06 at gmx.net
Mon Jun 16 13:23:19 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

I have compiled and installed serf 1.3.6 with GSS-API support. By default, it is linked against Heimdal 1.1.0 (base version). I am on FreeBSD 9.2.
Then I installed Subversion 1.8.9. All went fine. When I try to invoke Subversion with GSS-API authentication, it crashes with a segmentation fault.
First, I reported this to the serf mailing list [1] but it turned out to be a bug in Heimdal which triggers the issue.

I have compiled serf against Heimdal 1.5.2 (non-port) and MIT Kerberos 1.12.1 (port) and it works flawlessly.

So, how can we deal with that? I know that I can upgrade Heimdal through ports but isn't the base version supposed to simply work?
The alternative is a hack to modify serf's Makefile from GSSAPI="/usr" to GSSAPI="/usr/local" (MIT Kerberos) but that cannot be a solution to the issue.

Thanks,

Michael

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/serf-dev/6J3StLWgGIo