PowerPC Packages

Justin Hibbits chmeeedalf at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 16:04:30 UTC 2014

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 08:50:29 -0700
Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Over the last few weeks (2 cores makes the build take a long time!),
> I've built a complete set of 32-bit PowerPC packages for 10-STABLE,
> which can be found at
> http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/powerpc-10-packages. This
> address can be used as a pkg repository, but also contains a
> post-mortem of what fails to build and why if you look at it in a web
> browser, which may be of interest to porters. Note that these
> packages are unofficial and so are accompanied by no guarantees
> whatsoever from anyone. The packages are still slowly uploading, but
> the logs and debug information are there already.
>
> Over all, 19443 ports succeeded. 1116 failed for some reason (this
> number includes things marked BROKEN) and 3867 didn't start because
> ports they depend upon failed. The largest issues are Boost and QT4
> webkit. Boost has failed because it seems to unconditionally prefer
> clang to gcc when both are present. On PowerPC, both are installed
> but GCC remains the default due to some remaining issues with clang.
> Boost ignores the default, runs into the issues, and fails. Maybe it
> should be forced to use whatever "cc" is? Several other ports run
> into this issue. QT4 webkit seems to have caused GCC to segfault for
> some reason.
>
> The website has a list of failed builds sorted by the number of ports
> they are blocking, both directly (ports with this ports in their
> *_DEPENDS line) and indirectly (all of those, plus all the ports that
> depend on this port's children). Also listed is the point at which
> the job failed and a link to the build log. "JOB_FAILURE" means that
> the build or packaging step failed. "PRE_SCRIPT_FAILURE" means that
> the job failed in the "make fetch" stage, which includes ports marked
> BROKEN.
>
> I am more than happy to try out patches if porters without access to
> PowerPC systems want to fix any of these.
> -Nathan

This is awesome!

To fix the boost build, bapt suggested to me on IRC a while back to add
'FAVORITE_COMPILER=gcc' to my make.conf, so that it always prefers
gcc.  I've been working on ppc32 PIC for the last week or so when I
have time, and hope to have it done in the next couple weeks at which
point this hack should be moot for us.

- Justin