LibreOffice 4.2.4 -- Has anyone figured out how to have this software NOT listen to the Internet?

sickofthis at openmailbox.org sickofthis at openmailbox.org
Fri Jun 13 08:47:04 UTC 2014

Step 1:

$ libreoffice

Don't run it in the background -- otherwise you'll have to kill
the stuck process manually when you exit LibreOffice vs. the somewhat
more convenient CTRL+C for a foreground process (*shrug*).

Step 2:

Click on either "Impress Presentation" or "Draw Drawing." Then wait
half a minute for the sub-app to open (*shrug*).

Step 3:

$ sockstat -46

You'll see TCP/1599 and UDP/1598 ports open to the Internet.

Apparently it's related to Impress Remote. Apparently there's
supposed to be some option called "Enabled remote control" that
controls this functionality, but I can't find it. In any event,
the functionality should NOT be enabled by default. Most people
don't expect a piece of office software to act as an Internet
daemon.

The open-source community has had over 20 years to get this very
basic best-practice stuff right, and it's still happening.
Unbelievable. The default behavior alone means I have absolutely
zero confidence that every piece of code accessible via the
open network ports handles allocated memory, numerical
manipulations, etc., properly.

Here's hoping your firewall handles state properly, especially
when it comes to UDP ports and your DNS servers.