Keeping my ports tree in sync with the public pkg repo

Darren Pilgrim list_freebsd at bluerosetech.com
Thu Jun 12 13:11:29 UTC 2014

Is there a way to determine the ports tree revision used for the current
public pkg repo?

Like any moderately complex system, I have a mix of stock and custom
packages.  When I go to update stuff, I'll check out the current ports
tree and fire off poudrerie to build what I need.  There's a race
condition: if more than a day or two elapse between when the public pkg
repo was last refreshed and when I check out the ports tree, there's a
good chance the version in ports and version of the available package
don't match.  This is particularly true right now because of all the
movement from staging and other recent framework changes.

The result is portmaster gives me hell.  I'll go to rebuild, say, perl
or php using portmaster and it will tell me something I've installed
from pkgs needs to be updated.  I then go check pkg update and it says
it's up to date.

There are workarounds, but pkg lock shell games are fragile and I really
dislike having stock builds of libxml, numerous build tools, vim-lite,
etc. in my private repos.  If I could check out the same ports tree the
package building cluster used, I'd avoid the issue entirely.