databases/postgresql92-server does not honor uid/gid

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Mon Jun 9 22:08:31 UTC 2014

FYI:

I upgraded databases/postgresql92-server a system today.  Afterwards, I encountered this situation:

$ sudo /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql initdb
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "pgsql".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale "C".
The default database encoding has accordingly been set to "SQL_ASCII".
The default text search configuration will be set to "english".

creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data ... initdb: could not create directory "/usr/local/pgsql/data": Permission denied

Oh… ummmm…

$ ls -ld /usr/local/pgsql
drwxr-xr-x  2 70  70  6 Jun  9 21:03 /usr/local/pgsql

eh?

$ id pgsql
uid=10837(pgsql) gid=10837(pgsql) groups=10837(pgsql)

On this system, a jail. the uid/gid for pgsql are not standard.

I solved the problem with: $ sudo chown pgsql:pgsql /usr/local/pgsql/

—
Dan Langille